The Prices by Country plugin and the Currency Switcher may look similar, but they serve different purposes. This article will explain the differences, and how the two can be used together.
1. Prices by Country
The Prices by Country plugin allows to create regions (i.e. sets of countries), and set a different product price for each of those regions. It also allows to set some products as "unavailable" to specific regions. It doesn't add currencies.
When you use the Prices by Country plugin, and your site's currency is USD, you could set prices as follows:
- Product A: 100 USD for North America, 150 USD for Europe, 200 USD for Australia.
- Product B: 90 USD for North America, 110 USD for Europe, unavailable to Australia.
- Product C: unavailable to North America, 80 USD for Europe, 90 USD for Australia.
As a result
- A customer from North America will pay 100 USD for Product A, 90 USD for Product B, and won't be allowed to buy Product C.
- A customer from Europe will pay 150, 110 and 80 USD for Products A, B and C, respectively.
- A customer from Australia will pay 200 USD for Product A, won't be able to buy Product B, and will pay 90 USD for product C.
2. Currency Switcher
The Currency Switcher allows to set prices in multiple currencies, which apply to all customers, worldwide. For example:
- Product A: 100 USD, 90 EUR, 80 GBP
- Product B: 90 USD, 70 EUR, 65 GBP.
- Product C: 50 USD, 40 EUR, 40 GBP.
Another key difference is that the Currency Switcher doesn't have a an "availability by currency" feature (e.g. "Product A can be only bought in USD"), because it makes little sense to customers. Usually, a product is available to a customer, or it's not (for example, by region), regardless of the currency chosen for the payment.
3. Using both plugins together
The Prices by Country plugin and the Currency Switcher are designed to work together. If you install them both, you will get both feature sets, and you will be able to set product prices in USD, EUR and GBP, independently for each region, as well as set products' availability for each region.